Wednesday, March 12, 2008

"Those Winter Sundays"

In this poem, "Those Winter Sundays," I think there's a deeper message. It seems to me that it's a young girl realizing that her father does anything and everything to support his family.
I think that growing up, until a certain age, children and young adults don't realize how much they need to appreciate their parents and what they really do for them. They're always complaining about anything and everything and don't realize how much time and work they put towards keeping the family healthy and supported.
It seems that no one ever can realize this and really thank their parents for simply just putting a roof over their heads and feeding them; because unfortunately there are some who are not lucky enough to even have that.
So I ask that everyone goes to their parents or guardians and tells them how much you love them and how thankful you are for all of the little things they do for you and your family in life.
I never really thought about this until after reading this poem and it makes me sad to think that I've never thought to go to my parents to simply say, "Thank you and I love you," for no reason at all.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I really agree with you that we take our parents for granted. Think about how much they give up to make sure we are happy.

Erinn said...

Katie, You have made some interesting personal connections to this poem. I wonder if any of the other assigned poems have a simliar impact on you? It could be interesting for you to look for some poems to bring to class that deal with the issue of family relationships. Maybe this will be an interesting topic for you to explore for your next project?